1. The Tanjung Piai by-election is a very interesting event for more than one reason. It is the ninth by-election since GE14 in May 2018, but the first that the ruling party faced against Muafakat Nasional.
2. The question many were asking since Muafakat Nasional was launched is “can it work since the parties involved had such wide and diverse interests?”
3. The answer yesterday was that it seems to be working.
4. This poses a challenge to the ruling party and it is a matter that should not be taken lightly. As much as one might say that Umno is race-based and PAS is religion-based, this does not seem to be of concern to Malaysians.
5. Malaysians are more concerned with bread and butter issues, and this is what the government needs to focus on.
6. US President Bill Clinton used the slogan “It’s the economy, stupid” and won against President George H. W. Bush in the 1992 US presidential contest. This message resonated well with the American voters who at that time were facing hard times due to the economic recession.
7. At the end of the day, it is all about the economy or about putting food on the table. And this is what the Tanjung Piai voters were telling the government yesterday.